Monday, September 14, 2009

Why Are Republicans Always So Angry?

I noticed it during the campaign. Republicans were always so angry. I'm noticing it again now with the health care issue. Why is it that Republicans always seem so angry? Seems like you can't have a discussion with them. It always turns into an argument. Is it just my family, or are Republicans, in general, a mean spirited group of people?

The recent outburst by South Carolina Rep. Joe Wilson was the perfect example of what I am talking about. Did you see those Republicans holding up papers, making remarks during the president's speech? They were acting like a bunch of disrespectful ill mannered elementary school kids. What an example to show our children. If these guys in high office can't behave in front of our president, how do you expect the children in our classrooms to respect their teachers? Come on, guys, let's try and set an example here.

I try to avoid conversations in the workplace that have anything to do with the current issues of health care and the economy. I don't want to start any arguments or polarize myself from people that I have to work with every day. But, I wonder, why do I have to be the one to back off? Why are the people with the most irrational ignorant statements the ones who get their opinions heard? I usually let them grunt and groan and turn red in the face while I stand there and nod like a bobble head, stirring my coffee, walking backwards toward my desk - all to avoid an argument, to keep the peace.

I can usually weed out the Republicans by asking, "Did you watch the president's speech the other night?" The Republicans will laugh and reply with an adamant, "NO!" I don't argue with those folks and the conversation ends. Funny, they are never interested to ask me if I watched it. When George W. was in office I watched all his speeches on TV. I wouldn't miss an opportunity like that. I had all my shoes lined up and I would toss them at the TV yelling obscenities until my face turned red. But first I made sure that all my windows were shut tight - just to avoid an argument with my neighbors in the morning.

3 comments:

  1. This may be a late comment, but I only just stumbled upon it. I too feel the exact same way. Most of the people that I work with are Republicans and all they do is complain, make inappropriate comments, and forward anti-Obama jokes over email. I am sick of it. But, I too keep my mouth shut to avoid an argument - especially since some of them are my bosses. I've never seen so much disdain toward our president before. What rights has he taken away from these people? GW Bush wrecked our economy, but that doesnt seem to matter. I never forwarded anti-Bush jokes to republicans, and I never so blatantly voiced my opinion on him as they do about Obama. We used to all go to lunch practically every day but I've stopped going because I'm sick of hearing about how "the government is screwing everything up". Anyway, it's nice to know that someone else out there feels the same and that we can be a little bigger than they.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just gotta point this out-

    You accused and disparaged Republicans as angry, but at the end of the piece you referenced your own anger that made you want to throw shoes at the tv.

    Just saying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm....good point.
      Pillows would be a better, less damaging projectile.
      That was the point, no?

      Delete