Thursday, August 19, 2010

The Lawnmower

I went for a walk this morning at the John Burns Park in Massapequa. That's where I saw five men - employees of the park -  hovering over a lawn mower.  One was poking it, touching and prodding like a doctor would do to a patient on his examining table.  One was kneeling next to the lawn mower, hand on the base.  And the other three were standing in a circle around the lawnmower, just observing.

A walk around the park is marked in tenths of a mile, for a total of one half mile total.  It takes me about ten minutes to walk a complete round.  My first round brought me back to the starting point and the five men, still hovering over the lawnmower...ten minutes.

As I approached the completion of my second round, there were now four men standing around the machine, arms crossed, as the fifth man hopped into a golf cart type vehicle to fly off somewhere.  Was he going for help?  One guy shuffled around and kicked some stones into the path.  They were obviously very concerned about the lawnmower.  No one wanted to leave it alone for a moment.  One man kept his hand firmly on the handle offering comfort to the ailing mower.

I was listening to a great song on my iphone so I contemplated another walk around, another ten minutes.  Nah, I thought, better get home and get ready for work.  Besides, my legs were starting to get tired and I was starting to sweat.  I hate sweat.

I did some stretches to stall for a few moments so I could finish the song.  The guy on the golf cart cruised back weaving the cart in a playful pattern over the roadway, then parked up on the sidewalk next to the lawnmower.  He remained seated under the cart's awning, out of the sun, observing the other four meandering listlessly around the lawnmower.

I couldn't wait any longer.  I had to leave.  But I'm wondering how the lawnmower is doing.  It must be pretty serious - to have five grown men so concerned.  I wonder if they are all still standing there trying to figure out what to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment