Monday, January 2, 2012

A New Calendar For a New Year

Every year before I hang a new calendar, I take down the old one and look through each month to see what I was doing during the year.  My calendar is a boring tabloid of doctors' appointments and tax filing dates, haircut appointments and birthdays that I already have committed to memory.  I don't know what I'm looking for when I review the prior year's calendar - something interesting that I want to remember?  A date that should stand out in my mind?

This year I was surprised to see that each month in my 2011 calendar featured a quote by an author.  Of course the name of the calendar was, The Reading Woman, and I had not been aware of that until today. Why hadn't I noticed these interesting quotes all year?  After reading through each one, I added two more resolutions to my list:  Be more aware in 2012 and READ MORE!

Here are the quotations, month by month:

January:  Poets are those who know how to give shape to my dreams...Comtesse Diane

February:  Children are made readers on the laps of their parents...Emilie Buchwald

March:  He who draws noble delights from the sentiment of poetry is a true poet, though he has never written a line in all his life...George Sand

April:  I come to believe that every book should be read in the most incongruous surroundings possible, for then it imposes its own unity that startles the reader when he has to emerge again into his own world...Vita Sackville-West

May:  A book holds a house of gold...Chinese proverb

June:  I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves...Anna Quindlen

July:  Writing and reading is to me synonymous with existing...Gertrude Stein

August:  Literature is the last banquet between minds...Edna O'Brien

September:  If I were a young person today, trying to gain a sense of myself in the world, I would do that again by reading, just as I did when I was young...Maya Angelou

October:  Even if you drift away from fiction, a great book can drag you back by the throat...Regan McMahon

November:  There are many little ways to enlarge your child's world.  Love of books is the best of all...Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis

December:  I shall keep my book on the table here, and read a little every morning as soon as I wake, for I know it will do me good, and help me through the day...Louisa May Alcott

My favorite? June, tied with May.
What's yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment