Monday, March 22, 2010

That's The Way Boys Are

One of my favorite songs of the early 60’s was, That’s The Way Boys Are, by Lesley Gore. This song was #12 on the Billboard charts when I was twelve years old, in 1964. I heard it on the radio the other day and cranked up the volume as I threw down the potato I was peeling and started dancing and singing into a wooden spoon in my kitchen. For a few silly moments, I was twelve again. I was young and innocent to the ways of life and love and men and it was wonderful – until I listened to the words. I had to stop singing. The fact that my husband had just walked through the door had nothing to do with it. It was the lyrics; they were ridiculous!

It’s a good thing Aretha Franklin came out with Respect a few years later, in 1967. She may have, single handedly, saved a generation of women – myself included!

I've written the lyrics to both of these songs and juxtaposed them together in a different font. See which one you identify with!

When I'm with my guy and he watches all the pretty girls go by
And I feel so hurt deep inside I wish that I could die
Not a word do I say, I just look the other way
'cause that's the way boys are
That's the way boys are



What you want
Baby, I got
What you need Do you know I got it?
All I'm askin'
Is for a little respect when you come home (just a little bit)
Hey baby (just a little bit) when you get home
(just a little bit) mister (just a little bit)



When he treats me rough and he acts as though he doesn't really care
Well I never tell him that he is so unfair
‘cause he loves me and I know it;
but he's just afraid to show it
cause that's the way boys are
That's the way boys are

I ain't gonna do you wrong while you're gone
Ain't gonna do you wrong, 'cause I don't wanna
All I'm askin'
Is for a little respect when you come home (just a little bit)

Oh, when he wants to be alone,
I just let him be
'cause I know that soon enough
He will come back to me

I'm about to give you all of my money
And all I'm askin' in return, honey
Is to give me my profits
When you get home

When we have a fight I think that I won't see him anymore
Then before I know it, there he is standin' at my door
Well I let him kiss me then,
'cause I know he wants me back again
That's the way boys are
Yes the way boys are

Ooo, your kisses,Sweeter than honey
And guess what?
So is my money
All I want you to do for me
Is give it to me when you get home
Whip it to me (respect, just a little bit)
When you get home, now

Oh! I love him (that's the way boys are)
Well now, that's the way boys are (that's the way boys are)
I said, that's the way boys are (that's the way boys are)

R-E-S-P-E-C-T
Find out what it means to me
R-E-S-P-E-C-T
Take care, TCB

(re, re, re) 'spect
When you come home
Or you might walk in
And find out I'm gone
I got to have
A little respect (just a little bit)


Now, I'm glad Aretha had the last word on this.

No comments:

Post a Comment